Saturday, February 20, 2010

Visit from DeDe and More...

DeDe (my mom...the grandkids call her DeDe) came to visit last week and we had a great visit and a very productive week! When she comes, I always end up getting a bunch done with my house because she makes me do all the things I've been meaning to do...ha!! Kate LOVED having her here and was so sad to see her leave. She stood by the door for most of the morning, after DeDe left, saying, "DeDe? Norm? (my parents dog). Kate's so lucky to have such great grandparents who love her to pieces...and vice versa!

Since it was Valentine's Day, my dad had flowers sent to our house for my mom...what a sweetie!! We were so sad that he wasn't here with my mom but he was traveling on business. In just a matter of a couple of weeks, he made trips to Egypt, Russia, and India....phew, wears me out just thinking about all of that travel! He is such a trooper and works so hard! Kate woke up every morning and went straight for the arrangement...she wanted to "smells fows PawPaw" (smell the flowers from Grandapa).
You can see some of my mother's handiwork behind us in this picture. She sews beautifully and made curtains for our den and kitchen. It only took me 3 months to find the perfect fabrics but I'm so happy with what I finally settled on. I'll post pictures of the kitchen curtains soon. She is so talented!! I told her if her "day job" doesn't work out she could definitely make some money sewing...haha!!
Eskimo kisses!!
My uncle JHarry sent Kate a train video and she loves watching it on the computer. It's a 1940s film about a little boy taking a cross country trip and (no offense uncle jharry) it is one of the most boring things I've ever seen but Kate just loves it...ha!! I'm telling you, she may just be a train engineer when she grows up...she loves trains!
And here are Kate and her best friends: Caroline and Max. They were at our house for our weekly playgroup and were horsing around in Kate's crib. They have the best time with each other and I have the best time chatting with their Mommies!
Kate is talking up a storm lately. Some funny things she has said and done in the past couple of weeks:
  • Norm sneezed the other day and she said, "Bess Yous Har" (Bless your heart)
  • When she wants me to hold her, she says, "hold you" which melts our hearts!
  • She tells me, about 376 times a day, that "Daddy wook" (Daddy is at work)
  • She loves to announce what the weather is doing: rain, snow, sunshine.
  • Instead of uh oh, she says, "whoops" when she drops something or falls down.
  • I love hearing her "h" words because they just sound so funny. She tells us that she's "hunry" (hungry) and loves riding her rocking "herse" (horse). She has a nasal quality (sorry, that's from my side, Kate) to her voice and her words sound so precious.
  • She's getting more and more into baby dolls and loves wrapping them up in blankets and giving them "balls" (bottles) because they're "hunry" (hungry). She also says, "baby seepy, shhhhh!" after she wraps them up and lays them face down.
  • She sometimes jumps in my arms to let me hold her like a baby and then requests "Rock a Bye Baby" by saying "Baby" in a singsong voice.
  • When we put her in her crib at bedtime, she says, "kiss Mommy, kiss Daddy" and as we're leaving she yells, "Bye!!"
  • She gets very concerned when she hears babies cry when we're out shopping, she says "Ooooh noooo, baby cry!"
  • When she wakes up and I dress her right away, she says, "skoo day" (school day) because she correlates getting dressed first thing in the morning with going to school.
  • She wants to carry her purse to the store now and wear a bracelet each time. This is funny to me because I hardly ever carry a purse and never wear bracelets...or a watch.
  • She is getting really good at knowing her colors and we have lots of fun practicing these. She does seem to have a universal color, "boo" (blue) for things that she's just not sure of an item's color.

Those are just a few things I wanted to remember about our precious Kate. I just cannot say enough how much I enjoy her and enjoy watching her learn and grow. It's an indescribable feeling of happiness I have that she's all ours...we're so proud of her!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your mom! I'm sure it was hard to see her leave! I can't believe how grown up sweet Kate is looking! She's so adorable! Hope y'all have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the rest of your curtains. Your mom said they look fabulous. The ones I see in the pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate is so sweet and sounds so girly!!! I love to hear the cute and funny little things she is saying!

    My mom said that she had lunch with Dede while she was in FS…It’s no wonder why or mothers are friends….my mom is the same why when she comes for a visit. There is no time to relax when she comes up. She has helped clean out or garage, hang pictures, mop floors, etc. You’ve got to love a visit from mom…bess their har!!!

    ReplyDelete