Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What We've Been Up To...

Long time, no blog!! We've been pretty busy (and lazy about blog posts) around here.

The Shepard family came to visit us a while back and I am just now getting these pics posted. The boys played golf and the girls and Brock stayed around the house and played and chatted. We love our S family visits!!
Kate started Mother's Day Out. This is her first day of school. Her hair was still wet and she insisted on carrying around her backpack ("back-back") and lunch box instead of drying that mop. Dixie wanted a closer smell to see just what she'd be missing for lunch!!
Kate seems to really be enjoying MDO. She cries a little bit when I drop her off but her teachers promise me that it only lasts for a few minutes...I hope that's the case. She has a best friend at school named Caroline. Actually, Caroline's Mommy and I are the homeroom mothers for the class. We have to plan all the parties, coordinate the teacher's luncheon for October, and gather donated items for our auction basket for the Halloween Carnival Auction. I'm really excited about doing those things for Kate and her school!! Caroline's Mom also invited us to join her playgroup on Fridays so that should be fun too. I swear, I feel like I'm dating again....trying to make friends in a new town is so fun and FUNNY all at the same time.
We made a trip to Fort Smith to see Brad's parents and I went to a baby shower for Baby Carley who will be here in November. We also got to go out Saturday night and see some friends. Kate was in heaven being with her Papa and Sissy...she got lots of love and attention...and a new outfit (pics later)...hee hee!! We love that Kate's grandparents are all so generous. We don't ever expect anything from them which makes little treats and surprises all the more fun!!
Papa and Sissy have an owl on their deck and they taught her about the owl and how to say "owl". I thought this pciture was funny because she's giving the owl the side-glance.
Brad was having a little beer and made the mistake of letting Kate try a little bit from his finger. Why is it that babies always love beer? Kate is not much for staying still for pictures these days. I tried to get one of her and Sissy but she only halfway cooperated.
We visited my Grandma Ann at her new nursing home. She was so sweet....I just hate that she has to stay there but I know it's for the best. She seems to be in pretty good spirits....I wish we could see her more often and do more things for her.

And here is Miss Priss trying out the fold-up chair in the backyard. She's a little dare devil and climbs up and down on anything she can. We have to keep a close eye on her. Somehow, though, she leared to get down from things going backwards (maybe that is an inborn thing??) so we don't worry about her being on the sofa or other furniture. She even slid down off our bed the other day (on purpose) and it's pretty high.
We had a great Labor Day weekend....I'm sad it's over. Kate and I both had Daddy withdrawals this morning. She kept asking where he was...so sad!! We stayed in OKC for the long weekend and did lots of things outside.... the weather was beautiful. One day, we went to the park for a picnic. Kate thought it was great and loved eating outside and getting to carry around her yogurt like a big girl.
Dixie loved the picnic too!! I think she was about to pounce on Kate's soccer ball in this one....or get a drink of water. Dixie is definitely an INSIDE ONLY dog...when it's above 70, she acts like she's about to die....silly doggie!!
Kate is becoming more and more vocal about what she wants/needs. She asks me for milk and/or water when she's thirsty. She tells me no when she doesn't want something. She tells me when she has a dirty diaper or when she goes pee pee...she says "poopiesh" for everything (including tooties) that goes on in her diaper. She asks me for cookies ("tutus") about 85 times a day...she doesn't get that request fulfilled very often. (In her defense though, she also calls goldfish and graham crackers cookies, which is usually her afternoon snack.) She asks me to wipe her nose since I think we've begun having a perpetual runny nose since she started school and all. She aks for a waffle ("opple") for breakfast every morning...before I even get her out of bed. And that's all I can think of right now. She says lots of other words too and usually has a new one about every other day. I am still in awe of the way a child's brain learns to rapidly and easily. I feel so lucky to get to experience being Kate's mom...she's such a blessing to us.

4 comments:

  1. How busy you have been! I am so amazed at all Kate knows how to do - she is one super smart little lady! I love the picture of her ready for school carrying her lunch box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how they pick up things so quickly. She looks so cute having a picnic. I felt like I was dating too when I was making new mommy friends! So funny. Sounds like you are fitting into OKC just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a couple things...

    First, I was happy to see a picture of your grandmother! Sorry that she's in a nursing home, but I understand when that's the best thing.

    Secondly...I was THAT child who LOVED beer!! Guess I'd better keep Caroline away from it! I think she will have a strong attraction to it from both her father and me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her expressions! I especially love her "outside squint."
    Is she still going to MDO for 1 day/week? I NEVER take Lucas to school for the crying reason. It breaks my heart. I make Jose take him and I pick him up (that way I get that big smile and no tears!!) I feel for ya!

    ReplyDelete