Sunday, July 19, 2009

On Friday, Kate and I headed out of town to visit our friends, Sally and Molly Kate. Sally and I met at our first Junior League meeting in Tulsa...we had both just found out we were pregnant. Now...almost 2 years later, it's always so fun to see the girls together and to catch up with Sally. She is so creative and kind...we love our visits with this sweet family!

MK and Kate had a blast together....even though neither one of them understands the whole concept of sharing. We were breaking up squabbles all day long but had such fun watching them together. They have an awesome backyard and we swam and played in the yard for several hours. Sally made us a yummy cocktail and we got to visit in the fresh air with our girls....it was fantastic!
Kate was in awe of all of the new toys she got to play with!
The girls were having a little power struggle over the duck push-toy.
And here they are ready for the pool!! Aren't they precious in their poolwear?!?!


On Saturday morning, B, K, and I got up and headed to the zoo. We went early enough so that we could beat the heat and it ended up being the perfect time to go. It wasn't crowded at all and the animals seemed to be more active as they enjoyed the morning sun. As we were leaving around 11, droves of cars were heading into the zoo. So....we'll be going early from now on.

Anyway, the OKC Zoo is awesome!! If anyone reading this wants a good zoo to visit and you're close to OKC...you should consider visiting....and call us and we'll meet you there...ha!! Every time I've been, the animals seem to more or less "perform" for the crowd. There is also an aquarium and a sea lion show. While we were there, we saw something that I am still in awe of....on one hand it was awful and on the other it was awesome! We were standing at the lion's den watching them lay around and yawn when a flock of Canadian Geese flew over. One of the geese flew a little too low and one of the lions stood up on its hind legs and whacked it out of the air....and he got it!! I'll let you all imagine what happened next. I thought of Laura J. and her trip to Africa and I thought that was probably the closest to a "kill" in nature as I would probably ever see. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm a heartless person, but it really was neat to see. There was another daddy and his little boy (probably about 2 yrs old) watching this unfold with us. The little boy was looking at what was going on with a lot of confusion and shock on his face. The daddy kept saying, "Oh wow, the lions are playing with the birdie...how fun!" You could just see the wheels turning in that poor little guys' head...he was really trying to believe his dad but knew that birdie wasn't having fun AT ALL. It made me giggle a little!
And here is a video of Kate that I took last week. I have since gotten her some new "flatware" because the big spoons were just too hard for her to handle and the other cheap-o forks and spoons I had were shaped funny and she could never get what she scooped-up into her mouth. The new stuff works MUCH better...should have known to buy Gerber in the first place. I love this video for many reasons. Besides the fact that my most favorite little girl is the subject, I love watching her concentrate on eating her yogurt and listening to what I am saying and what is going on around her. She keeps me captivated every day...it is truly an amazing thing to watch your child learning and mastering new skills. I really can't think of anything else I would rather be doing.

Hope you all had a great weekend as well....why do they always have to end???

6 comments:

  1. Hey girl. I was so glad to see a comment from you the other day. I have been "peeking" in on you too! I think that Kate is the cutest little girl! She has the most beautiful blue eyes! Sounds like you guys are having a fun summer and staying very busy! I have 4 more weeks until little Miss Lucy gets here....are you hoping to have more kids? You are doing a great job of enjoying Kate and making lots of memories. They grow-up so fast...It's hard for me to believe that I have a 5 year old! It was so good to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...too, too sweet! I am such a bad momma...I am so scared of the mess, that I haven't even attempted to give Caroline a spoon yet! I am a total control freak, and if I don't change soon, I'm going to have to go to school with her every day and feed her! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, Kate is SO cute! She amazes me at how much she knows and can do already! Such a smart little girl you have! She is talking really well. Oh, and I can't believe you saw that lion get the birdie at the zoo!

    Annnnd, don't worry - I love getting your comments! Since Kate is older than Ava you've gone through the things I am and I love hearing other perspectives and takes on things!

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that video is so adorable! She is so cute I think I will have to watch it one more time :)…I also just love the pictures of her and her little friend Molly Kate...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the video too...Lucas and I just watched it and he said...."Is that Baby Kate?" I said, "yep." He says, "I love her."
    So cute....she captures the hearts of the young boys already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried to leave a message twice! What is wrong w/my computer?! Sorry, I read this post the other day, then Kate and I watched the video again. Kate is so cute...learning how to feed herself! Yeah for her. Love playdates. I don't know when they learn to share...my oldest one still doeesn't know it.

    ReplyDelete