Thursday, June 18, 2009

1 Year Check-Up

We just got back from Kate's appointment with the doc and she got a clean bill of health and development. He said she was perfect...I love it when he says that..ha. The actual exam was a little stressful because she SCREAMED from start to finish. She did not want the doc to weigh her, check her heart, eyes, ears, or nose...at all. Of course, he did these things anyway and that made her even more mad. And I won't even get into the shots. Poor baby had a very traumatizing visit to the doctor but she passed with flying colors and she's back at home reading some books...I'm glad the tears are over. She hardly ever cries so when she does it makes me feel awful...so glad it's over! Here are her stats:
Weight: 23 lbs. (75%)
Height: 30 1/2 inches (90%)
Head Circ: 18 1/4 inches (85%)
Poor little thing. You can just tell by her expression that this experience isn't going to make it anywhere on her favorite things list.
She started drinking whole milk on Tuesday and she really didn't indicate that she noticed it to be all that different from her formula. She just drank it and went on about her business. She is still having one bottle a day before bedtime because I'm not in a real hurry to cut that one out. Maybe in a month or so; we'll go to no bottles at all.

Some things Kate is doing now:
  • Animal sounds: When asked (for example), What does a horse say? Kate says nay, nay...sounds more like neh, neh. Other animal sounds she idenitifies: sheep, cow, dog, kitty cat (one of my faves...mow, mow), bird, tiger, and she wrinkles her nose when you ask what a bunny rabbit does.
  • She loves playing with baby dolls and says "babba" when she's playing with them. She could possibly be baby doll crazy like I was when I was little. I used to spend my allowance on diapers, food, and other baby items for my DOLLS. I can remember my mom just rolling her eyes when I wanted to buy BABY FOOD for DOLLS...but I loved it and I hope Kate loves babies too. She piles her babies (3 dolls and 2 stuffed animals) into her play stroller and pushes it around the kitchen and living room...it melts my heart to watch her play with her babies and the stroller....love it.
  • She says, "Hi (insert name)" to everyone she meets. She always is chasing Dixie around, saying, "Hi Ditty". When Skyping with my parents, she says "Hi DeDe" and "Hi Grandpa" (sounds like Papaw). When we were in Fsm, she was constantly saying, "Hi Sissy!" (you can guess what that sounds like in Kater language...her S's sound like T's) and "Hi Papa". She is just now beginning to call me "Mommy"...she used to call me Diddy...I was getting a little peeved (not really) that she called me Diddy, so we've been working on Mommy and it seems to be registering...ha!
  • She gets into EVERYTHING that can be gotten into...and some things that I thought she could never get into.
  • She's learning to run and takes off if she knows we're coming after her to take something away from her.
  • She eats or at the very least tries, pretty much, anything we put on her tray. She's a very good eater.
  • She is a very happy little girl and laid back for the most part. Not that we wouldn't enjoy her if she wasn't laid back but it makes her that much more enjoyable!!!

I took these pictures last night. When Brad gets home from work each evening, he grabs Kate up and spends some snuggly time with her while I finish cooking dinner. She had her baby last night and I thought the scene was just too cute not to capture. If only she hadn't had her eyes glued on the TV....

By the way, this is Kate's first American Girls doll. It's the Bitty Baby...Ab, Ron, Emma and Sam gave it to her for her bday and Brad's cousin's little girl (Emily) helped us name her...she suggested Emmy...cute, huh? I'm sure there will be many American Girls to follow.

Hope you're all having a great week!!! Oh, did any of your one year olds experience the rash/fever that the doctor warned us about (as a result of 1 yr vaccinations) today? Just wondering how common it actually is...she is acting like she feels fine right now but we'll see I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! So glad you got through the doctor's appointment....there is nothing worse that seeing your babies in pain or fear...boohoo.
    Lucas never had a reaction to any of his shots. I always scheduled them on Fridays (just in case) but he never did react.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she is doing so well talking and such. Love Love Love the pic of her and daddy and the doll. Love it. Kate has never had any problems after her shots and neither has Luke. He hasn't had his 1 yr shots yet.

    ReplyDelete