Monday, June 8, 2009

First MDO Experience

Kate went to Mother's Day Out for the first time today. I have been nervous about it for weeks now and, of course, there was absolutely no need to worry.

I swung by Brad's office and picked him up so he could go with me to drop her off. We had a discussion on the way there debating whether or not it was dork-central for Brad to go with me but then we decided that it didn't matter...we wanted to take her together. And, as it turned out, there were several other Daddies in their work clothes, too! When we got to the school, we found her classroom and handed her over. There were lots of kids screaming and crying for their Moms and Dads to take them back and I was very afraid this might upset Kate. However, she didn't make a peep and went right over to her teachers and the other kiddos and began playing. We were so relieved!!

I dropped Brad off, went to the gym, did some laundry, cleaned the kitchen, cleaned the living room, dabbled on the computer, and chatted with a couple of friends to catch up. However, it seemed like time DRAGGED by all day....I missed my little angel!! Finally, 2:15 rolled around and I went to get her. When I got there, the teachers asked me how many brothers and sisters she had. I told them none and they were shocked! They said she did so well that they were sure she was the baby of 6...ha!! I was so proud of her and so happy that she felt comfortable and safe. She ate all of her lunch (I packed her favorite: grilled cheese, oranges, and apples), she took a good nap (which surprised the heck out of me), and played very well with her new friends. I'm already so excited for her that she gets to go again next week!!

Hope you all had a great weekend!!

6 comments:

  1. Yeah Kate! I remember the first time I took her to daycare - I was so nervous, I remember the outfit I put her in. I wanted her to be comfortable. Then I was even more stressed out when I moved her to a new daycare but she loved it. We are starting her in a MDO prog in the fall since she's been out of 'school' since Dec. I'm nervous for her, but I've not signed Luke up yet! He's too young. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Kate!!!! I am so glad she liked it. She has got so much personality! It makes perfect sense that she would be a hit with all the other kiddos. And I think it is absolutely precious that you and Brad both took her. We did the same thing and to this day if we can, we still both take Parker in and drop him off and pick him up after work. I don't think anything is dorky anymore! Its just part of loving our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Kate! I'm so glad she liked it! Today was Ava's first day back for her summer session and she was so excited! I know how hard it is though being away from them - hopefully it will get a little easier and her time there will be a benefit to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a relief for you all! Now you will be able to really enjoy yourself know that she will be doing fine. I love that you went together...sounds like Will and I. I am not even allowed for him to try a "new" food item if Daddy isn't here to see too. hehe! Yay for Kate...such a big girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat went w/ me the first day too and we took the video camera. We were really dork central! I remember getting my feelings hurt because Gabby didn't cry for me like all of the other kids were for their moms.
    How old is the little cutie pie now? If you are in FS with some extra time you need to let me take her photos!
    Hope you all are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete