On Sunday evening, we got word that Hospice had been called in to help my Grandma Lollie. For those of you who do not know about the dreaded, yet sometimes very welcomed Hopsice, these are the nurses and other staff trained to make a person more comfortable as they near the end. She stopped eating and drinking Friday evening and has been receiving morphine for any pain she may have. I was able to go see her Tuesday and even though she didn't know I was there I prayed very hard with her and let her know how excited I was for her to move along into the next adventure...heaven, of course. She is such a wonderful grandma and I had so much fun with her when I was a little girl. She was the kind of grandma that let us make milkshakes in the middle of the night...after we had gone for a swim...ha, so fun!!! It was always such a joy to get to spend time with her. I'm excited for Kate to get to do those types of things with her grandparents....ya know, fun things that Brad and I wouldn't normally do with her so she'll have wonderful memories of all of them like I do of mine. I hope it is God's will for her to pass along soon...free of struggle and pain. My favorite picture of her is on my memory stick that's in Brad's briefcase so I'll have to post it later.
Monday night (before we were to leave for Fort Smith), Brad and I were lying in bed and started hearing this weird noise over Kate's monitor. Brad hopped up to check on her and I quickly followed. Poor little tootie-pie had a yucky, stuffy nose and was making awful snorts and such because of it(that's what we were hearing on the monitor). Needless to say, we were up practically all night..I just ended up sleeping on the couch with her so she could be in an upright position. I swear, she had NO SIGNS of this before she went to bed...weird. Anyway, I called her Pediatrician in Tulsa and headed that way Tuesday morning but they said there was no need to bring her in...just use saline nose spray and a humidifier and she should be fine in a few days. So...we kept on going to Fort Smith.
When we got to Fort Smith, Kate was feeling well and had a great time watching Sam play with his cars. He wanted her to "get up and crawl" but she can't do that yet so he told her, "roll over Kate"! Ha...he's so funny...and sooo sweet with her. After a little playtime, we headed to CTK to see Emma get an award...she got the Golden Eagle Award....she got it last year too...she's such a good student..yay Emma!!! It was fun to see her at school, in her uniform, with all of her cute little friends. It made me excited for Kate when she gets big enough to be a first grader!!! After that, I headed to my gma's nursing home and Abby and the kiddos kept an eye on Kate for me.
That evening, Kate and I had dinner with Brad's parents and, of course, Fran cooked a wonderful meal in no time!! She's good at that...like magic or something. Anyway, they fed Kate her cereal and a bottle and then Kate began to get super fussy. I had run the poor girl to the very end of her rope.....she was EXHAUSTED!! She calmed down a bit with a little bird bath with Fran and then we got in the car and went back to Abby and Ron's. I was VERY worried about Kate not being comfortable enough to sleep with her stuffy nose and all but Ron (our hero) went to Target at 9pm and got Kate a humidifier that worked like a charm. Also, I got some Vick's Vapor Rub for Baby and that really seemed to help her stuffiness. The combination led to a full nights' sleep and everyone was happy and healthy Wednesday morning!! Yay!!
Before we headed back to OKC, we stopped by my Grandma Ann and Grandpa Paul's house to visit with them for a bit. Kate had the best time playing with them on their laps and she LOVED listening to my gpa click his tongue...she was in awe of him. Here are a couple of pics of our visit with them. Doesn't my gma have such nice high cheek bones??
And, I just included this one because I love it and I know Kate will love it one day, too.
Hope you all have a great week.
I am sorry Kate wasn't feeling well. I hope the humidifier helps. And I hear ya on the apartment disdain! I felt the same way about our apartment here. I think I was so anxious to get into a house after we moved to Fayetteville that I never really just relaxed in our apartment and let myself enjoy some of the benefits of apartment living like the pool, no yard work, maintence guys that fix everything, smaller utility bills, less space to keep clean. There is just something about being in a house and feeling settled I guess. I know you'll find the perfect place soon!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, Sarah! I know your grandma and grandpa from St. Boniface! They are SOOO kind and sweet! What a small world this is! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. It's so good that you have those good memories to hold onto of your Grandma.
ReplyDeletesarah, i'm so sorry to hear about your grandma!! you all are in our prayers.
ReplyDeletekate is precious as always!!
Sarah, I'll be thinking of Grandma Lollie. I remember going to her house and eating PB&J sandwiches until we were stuffed! I'll pray that she is comfortable with her hospice care.
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteyour post is so sweet and I am sorry that you had a loss in your family. You and your family will be in our prayers.
p.s.
I love that Kate and Avery are so close in age. I feel like they go through the same things at the exact same time. Even getting sick, we are still trying to get over it.