Monday, December 8, 2008

Saturday Squash

Since Kate is going to be 6 months old in just a few days (just wiped a tear), Brad and I decided to introduce baby food last weekend. By the way, we made that decision last week and I could hardly wait for it to be noon on Saturday....I love seeing Kate's expressions and reactions when she tries new things!! Ok...back on track. We began with squash because I'm a paranoid first-time parent and believe all the things I read about starting with a mild veggie instead of fruit or other sweet veggies. It probably wouldn't have made a bit of difference what we started with but I just wanted to make sure she got used to her veggies before she had a taste of the good stuff...ha! Luckily, she seems to enjoy the squash. On Sunday night, we tried green beans and she seemed to REALLY like those. We think we heard her say, "Mmmmm, Mama!" (Not really) She's going to be ecstatic next week when I put bananas in her oatmeal!
We also let her start practicing with a sippy cup. She liked holding it and it's bright color, but didn't understand the entire concept of drinking out of it. She just chewed on the drinking spout. I'll probably try that again in a month or so....I don't think she was quite ready for the sippy.
I'll tell you what, this girl is going to quickly be on the move. She scoots and turns and twists her body into all kinds of positions in order to get her hands on something she wants. My favorite maneuver is when she gets on all fours, rocks back and forth and launches herself across her blanket on the floor where she plays. Last night, she launched herself over a pile of toys and her little legs and feet were sticking up in the air...we laughed heartily!! I know I've said this a million times, but she is growing and changing at such a rapid rate...it blows us away!
Here she is practicing being on all fours!

And here she is trying her hardest to get the bag of potatoes into her hands. I was working in the kitchen and set her on the counter so she could watch me but she quickly found something WAY better to do.

Hopefully, everyone is having a good start to the week!!! Kate and I ran lots of errands today. We hit Sam's for baby supplies and then Hobby Lobby for the fun stuff. We got a small tree for our apartment (which I accidentally forgot at Hobby Lobby and have to go back for) and we got all of the sparklies and fuzzies you can imagine to make the prettiest Christmas stockings ever....well, that might be a stretch but we'll have fun making them! I'll post pictures when I finish them...hopefully before Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm getting excited about Caroline's 4-month checkup tomorrow...I'm anticipating Dr. Cheshier telling us to start rice cereal! I can't believe she's ready for a spoon already! I guess I didn't realize Kate was just 2 months older than Caroline...I'll have to pay attention to what she's doing so I'll know what to expect pretty soon.

    Gotta question...did Kate get a "flat" spot on her head from laying down so much before sitting up? The back left side of Caroline's head is pretty flat, b/c she likes to lay on that side. I'm starting to get paranoid/worried, but I know Dr. Cheshier will probably "poo-poo" it. Any thoughts? Oh, and the hat is from Children's Place...they've got some cute stuff every once in a while. Not as cute as Baby Gap,though. And Caroline wore that same little black/white outfit that Kate had on in one of your Thanksgiving pics...too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet she starts crawling soon! Our Kate started at 7 months and walking at 9 months. That is too early. The 'trying new food' phase is fun. Luke has just had rice cereal so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a Bumbo chair in the pic? We used one of those so much.....the tray on ours looked different though.
    Pat came home with a Nikon D700 yesterday. I have no idea how to use it. Gonna have to read the manual and go to the class that came with it!! That salesman at Bedford's is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kate's eyes...they are beautiful!!!! Her eyes stand out so much in some of your pics...to cute, I can't wait to meet her in person.:)

    ReplyDelete