Friday, January 2, 2009

A Great Start to the New Year

First of all....HAPPY NEW YEAR!! We had a nice, relaxing New Years' Eve. When I say relaxing, I mean we had a couple of drinks and were asleep on the sofa by 9:30. I know, I know...pathetic. But, we LOVED every minute of it. We were awakened by text message after text message around midnight and that was fun too. Thanks for all of your New Year well-wishes!!!

On New Years' Day we went to my Aunt and Uncle's house in Edmond. All of my cousins and their kiddos were there too...it was lots of fun! Uncle Lenny smoked chicken and ham and we had delicious sides and dessert....it was all YUMMY, YUMMY!!
This morning, I woke up "on the wrong side of the bed" because I felt like it was Sunday. Then I remembered it was only FRIDAY!!!...and we still had the WHOLE weekend to hang out together. I guess my internal calendar was a little off due to the holiday happenings. We love it when Brad is off work and at home with us. We played around with Kate in the morning, went for a drive to check out a couple of houses, and then took Dixie to the dog park. Dixie really liked it so we will definitely try to make that a weekly thing for her.

Kate is still quite the "learning machine". It seems like she has a new trick every day. We love seeing her new skills but all of this learning seems to be affecting her night-time sleep. She wakes up about every 3-4 hours and cries or fusses around in her bed. She is now able to sit herself up from a lying-down position so that happens at night too. And last night, I found her hanging over the side of her bed.....I about fell over. She has been learning to pull-up on things but I guess I never imagined her pulling up on her crib so I didn't raise the side rail all the way. Even though her mattress is two notches lower than when she was a tiny infant, she had almost climbed out. Lesson learned...that rail is going up and staying up. Here is a picture of how I found her a couple of mornings ago....look at those sweet, sleepy eyes and bed hair!! Notice I put her bumpers back in her bed....I'm trying ANYTHING to help her sleep better at night...any ideas or suggestions???

6 comments:

  1. Ella slept with Brad and me until she was 5 years old. She hasn't even been out of our bed for a year yet. She sure did sleep good, though! I can't think of one single time she ever slept in her crib. Wish I could help ya, but that is not my area, obviously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!
    I would try noise. Lucas sleeps with a loud fan on. He sleeps like a log. Every now and then he will cry but I just let him cry it out (If I know he is not wet, hungry, or thirsty). Hope that helps...If she is going through spells of sleeplessness, it might just be growth spurts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noise is a good idea. Austin has a humidifer that runs and falls asleep to the same CD at night. I was going to say take her bumpers out since she is getting close to the top of her bed rail. But since she isn't standing yet they should be fine. Read Good Night, Sleep Tight by Kim West. Her site is http://www.sleeplady.com/ I think I told you about her before. Good luck. Austin started sleeping through the night at 11 weeks and I am not sure how I really did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. White noise maybe. Brock sleeps great w/ a box fan on low all night. It is probably a phase with her. They say milestones can periodically affect night time sleep. I bet she will be back to normal once she masters her new found skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is she napping during the day? I'm a believer that if they nap good during the day they sleep better at night. We have a sound machine for Kate, and we take it with us when we travel so she feels like we are at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sarah! I don't know if you already do this or if it would work for Kate, but when Grace was two or three weeks old the doctor suggested we get on a big-time schedule. Since we started that at about 6 weeks, Grace has slept through the night (except when she's sick, of course). So we have a set schedule of when she eats and naps everyday and then a set bedtime routine that is the same every night. I think Grace really thrives on it and then knows what to expect and it ready to sleep each night. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete